Hoi An is one of the favorite destinations in Vietnam, known for its ancient atmosphere and rich culture. However, if you visit Hoi An without trying the delicious cuisine, you would truly miss out. With a variety of local specialties and delicately prepared dishes, Hoi An is a culinary paradise for food enthusiasts. In this article, we will introduce to you a list of the best food in Hoi An, giving you more options during your visit. So let’s explore the top 15 must-try dishes when visiting Hoi An!
- 1 LIST OF BEST FOOD IN HOI AN EAT ONCE AND REMEMBER FOR A LIFETIME
- 2 1. Cao Lau – The best food in Hoi An of culinary culture
- 3 2. Mi Quang Hoi An
- 4 3. Hoi An Chicken Rice
- 5 4. Com Hen
- 6 5. Phuong’s Banh Mi – The best food in Hoi An received a high rating
- 7 6. Banh Dap Hen Xao – The best food in Hoi An which is full of Old Town flavor
- 8 7. Banh Dap
- 9 8. Banh Uot Cuon Thit Nuong (Grilled meat rolls)
- 10 9. Hoi An Rice Dumplings
- 11 10. Banh beo (Hoi An Steamed Rice Cakes)
- 12 11. Banh Bot Loc (Clear Shrimp and Pork Dumplings)
- 13 12. Banh Xeo (Hoi An Pancakes)
- 14 13. Tra Mot thao moc (Herbal Tea) – The best food in Hoi An with a unique and alluring flavor
- 15 14. Kem ong (Tube Ice Cream)
- 16 15. Che Hoi An (Hoi An Sweet Soup):
- 17 THE BEST FOOD IN HOI AN SUITABLE FOR BUYING AS GIFTS:
- 18 1. Banh it la gai (Black Sesame Dumplings)
- 19 2. Banh to (To Cake)
- 20 3. Mam Cam Thanh (Cam Thanh Fermented Fish Sauce)
- 21 4. Ruou hong đao (Apricot Blossom Liquor) – the best food in Hoi An embodies the essence of Quang people’s culinary art
- 22 5. Banh dau xanh Hoi An (Hoi An Mung Bean Cakes) – A long-standing best food in Hoi An
- 23 6. Banh dua nuong (Grilled Coconut Cake)
LIST OF BEST FOOD IN HOI AN EAT ONCE AND REMEMBER FOR A LIFETIME
1. Cao Lau – The best food in Hoi An of culinary culture
Hoi An’s Cao Lau can proudly claim the title of the best food in Hoi An. It is a traditional dish with a unique flavor that can only be found in this region.
Cao Lau is a type of hand-torn noodles made from a mixture of rice flour and ash from local “tram” trees, combined with water from the Ba Le well in Hoi An. It is served with a rich broth, along with slices of pork, bean sprouts, fresh greens, and crispy rice crackers.
Cao Lau – Known as the best food in Hoi An
The broth is not as abundant as in other noodle dishes, but it carries a distinct taste that gives the Cao Lau of Hoi An its soul. It is considered a culinary representation of the old-world charm of the ancient town.
When visiting the Old Town, you can stop by the famous Cao Lau restaurants below to enjoy:
- Cao Lau Ba Le – 51 Tran Hung Dao Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Cao Lau Lien – 120 Tran Cao Van Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Cao Lau Thanh – 26 Thai Phien Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
2. Mi Quang Hoi An
Making it to the list of the best food in Hoi An Old Town, Mi Quang is a local dish representing the cuisine of the Quang region. Mi Quang Hoi An is a bowl of yellow-tinted noodles adorned with pork, shrimp, chicken, and a broth made from simmering pork bones.
It is served with fresh herbs, creating a rich and flavorful combination. Mi Quang is also accompanied by crispy toasted rice crackers, adding a unique and special touch to the best food in Hoi An that cannot be found elsewhere.
Mi Quang become special because of the sophistication in the way of processing and great taste
Here are some places to try delicious Mi Quang to must eat in Hoi An:
- Mi Quang Ong Hai – 6A Truong Minh Luong Street, Cam Chau Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
- Mi Quang Co Bich Hoi An – 272 Hung Vuong Street, Thanh Ha Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Mi Quang Ba Minh Hoi An – Cam Ha Street, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
3. Hoi An Chicken Rice
Hoi An Chicken Rice is the best food in Hoi An Old Town. This dish consists of white rice, boiled chicken, and finely chopped raw vegetables. However, what makes Hoi An Chicken Rice special is the broth made from onions, roasted peanuts, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and fish sauce.
The combination of ingredients creates an unforgettable aftertaste for Hoi An Chicken Rice
The broth, along with chili sauce and lime, creates the distinctive flavor of Hoi An Chicken Rice. When eating, people usually add raw vegetables, purple onions, and pepper on top of the Chicken rice. This is a rustic and delicious dish loved by locals and tourists alike.
To taste the best food in Hoi An – Chicken Rice with the right taste, you can visit the following places that serve delicious Chicken Rice:
- Com Ga Ba Thuan – 685/4 Hai Ba Trung Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
- Com Ga Nga – 8 Phan Chu Trinh Street, Cam Chau Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
- Com Ga Ba Buoi – 22 Phan Chu Trinh Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
4. Com Hen
Com Hen is a Vietnamese dish that originated in the city of Hue. It consists of a bowl of rice with stir-fried baby clams, raw vegetables, bean sprouts, peanuts, and various aromatic herbs.
The dish is often accompanied by sweet and sour fish sauce and grilled rice paper to enhance the flavor. Other ingredients like crispy fried noodles, pork rinds, and chili are added to bring freshness to the dish.
Com hen – a rustic dish that captivates many people
Although it is a famous dish from Hue, Com Hen has been adapted to suit the best food in Hoi An. Despite its simplicity and casual nature, Com Hen is still a beloved dish by the local people of Hoi An and tourists from around the world.
To taste this food in Hoi An, you can visit:
- Banh dap, hen tron Co Ngay – 76 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Cam Nam Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
- Banh Dap So 9 – Cam Nam, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
5. Phuong’s Banh Mi – The best food in Hoi An received a high rating
Phuong’s Banh Mi is a famous food in Hoi An. This bakery has been in business for over 20 years and is located at 2B Phan Chu Trinh, in Hoi An’s Old Town. Phuong’s Banh Mi has been hailed as the “best Banh Mi in the world” by chef Anthony Bourdain.
Despite its prestigious reputation, this bakery maintains a humble setting, with only a bread cabinet and a few tables for customers who want to dine in.
What makes this place special is that the Banh Mi is always crispy, crunchy, and more fragrant than those found elsewhere. The bread is always freshly baked, ensuring the crispness of the crust and the softness and chewiness of the inner layer.
Phuong’s banh mi – The delicacy food in the old town
This bakery offers over 20 different fillings for the banh mi, each served with its own specially crafted sauce. Popular fillings include pate, mixed cold cuts, and beef rolls with cheese. This unique flavor makes Phuong’s Banh Mi a top choice for both international visitors and locals when they come to Hoi An.
- 2B Phan Chu Trinh Street, Cam Chau Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
6. Banh Dap Hen Xao – The best food in Hoi An which is full of Old Town flavor
One of the best food in Hoi An is Banh Dap Hen Xao, a traditional and distinctive specialty of Hoi An and the coastal provinces of Central Vietnam.
Banh Dap Hen Xao features stir-fried baby clams with spices, mixed with peanuts, Vietnamese coriander, chili, and spring onions. This dish is served with a sweet and sour fish sauce, enjoyed with Banh Dap or Banh Da (two types of rice crackers). The sweet and fresh taste of the clams blends harmoniously with the aromatic and spicy flavors. It leaves an indelible impression on those who enjoy Hoi An street food for the first time.
Banh Dap Hen Xao – a dish that receives a lot of love
- Banh Dap, Hen Tron Co Ngay – 76 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Cam Nam Ward, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
- Banh Dap So 9 – Cam Nam, Hoi An City, Quang Nam.
7. Banh Dap
Another best food in Hoi An is Banh Dap. The name “Banh Dap” translates to “smashed rice cracker,” which is a characteristic feature of this dish. Banh Dap is a harmonious combination of thin steamed rice cakes and grilled rice papers.
The steamed rice cakes are often topped with scallion oil and crushed mung beans, while some places serve them with boiled pork, shrimp, or grilled meat. What makes Banh Dap even more flavorful is the dipping sauce made from diluted and adjusted fermented fish paste mixed with other ingredients to suit everyone’s taste.
Banh dap is a simple dish of the best food in Hoi An list
Here are some famous Banh Dap shops where you taste the best food in Hoi An, you shouldn’t miss:
- Banh Dap Ni Ba Gia – 34 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Cam Nam, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Banh Dap So 2 – 84 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Cam Nam, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Banh Dap Ba Muoi – 94 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Cam Nam, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
8. Banh Uot Cuon Thit Nuong (Grilled meat rolls)
One dish that the locals highly recommend among the best food in Hoi An is Banh Uot Cuon Thit Nuong. Which translates to “steamed rice rolls with grilled meat”. Walking through the streets of Hoi An’s Old Town in the afternoon, you can easily spot street vendors selling Banh Uot Cuon Thit Nuong. The fragrant aroma of grilled skewered meat is enticing and is enough to make people stop and indulge.
Thin and chewy steamed rice rolls are rolled with grilled pork and fresh herbs, accompanied by a distinctive dipping sauce. Despite its simplicity, this specialty dish has the power to bring people back to Hoi An multiple times just to savor its unique flavors.
The delicious and greasy taste of grilled meat is sure to make you remember this best food in Hoi An forever
Famous locations for Banh Uot Cuon Thit Nuong that you shouldn’t miss when eating the best food in Hoi An:
- Co Gai – 90 Phan Chu Trinh, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Thit Nuong Co Loi Hoi An – 03 Nguyen Hue, Cam Chau, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
9. Hoi An Rice Dumplings
Ranking 9th among the best food in Hoi An is the Hoi An rice dumplings, a delicately crafted cake also known as “white rose” due to its exquisite appearance.
The rice dumplings are meticulously wrapped with thin rice dough, enclosing a filling of shrimp or minced pork shaped into a crescent moon. Upon closer inspection, the dumplings resemble delicate rose petals, hence the name “white rose”.
The combination of the thin rice dough and the flavorful filling, soaked in rich fish sauce, captivates the hearts of many, leaving a lasting impression from the very first bite.
Cauldron cake – hiding the ingenuity, sophistication and meticulousness of bakers
To admire and savor these intricately made rice dumplings by the artisans of Hoi An, you can visit:
- Bong Hong Trang Restaurant – 533 Hai Ba Trung Street, Cam Pho, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Trung Bac Restaurant – 87 Tran Phu Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- An Cuong – 1 Nguyen Hoang Street, An Hoi, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
10. Banh beo (Hoi An Steamed Rice Cakes)
Continuing with the best food in Hoi An, we must mention the Hoi An steamed rice cakes. Which immediately attracts both local and foreign tourists with their visual appeal.
These delicate white cakes are served in small ceramic bowls, topped with savory minced shrimp. The combination of shrimp, meat and special sauce makes everyone fall in love. This makes it a must-try dish when discovering Hoi An cuisine.
The cake is small but enough to fascinate many diners right from the first time enjoying this best food in Hoi An
Recommended locations to try Banh Beo when you have the opportunity to visit Hoi An:
- Banh Beo Ba Bay – 2 Hoang Van Thu Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Banh Beo Ba My – Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Banh Beo Co Tu – 77/1 Phan Dinh Phung Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
11. Banh Bot Loc (Clear Shrimp and Pork Dumplings)
Strolling along the banks of the Hoai River during the twilight hours, one will easily come across small and attractive stalls selling Banh Bot Loc. What sets Hoi An’s Banh Bot Loc apart is that the dumplings here are not wrapped in leaves, hence they are called “naked” dumplings.
These tiny crescent-shaped dumplings are filled with either shrimp or mung bean paste, giving them a soft and chewy texture. They are served with sliced pork sausage, fermented pork roll, and a dipping sauce that is both sweet and sour. Exploring Hoi An’s culinary scene, Banh Bot Loc is one of the best food in Hoi An that you cannot afford to miss.
The best food in Hoi An is chewy and rich in flavor from shrimp or mung bean paste.
- Banh Bot Loc Co Be – 115 Nguyen Truong To, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
12. Banh Xeo (Hoi An Pancakes)
Banh Xeo is a familiar and popular dish among the people of Central Vietnam, especially in Hoi An. Unlike other types of Banh Xeo, Hoi An’s version is relatively small, allowing you to enjoy multiple pieces.
The golden yellow pancake has a crispy outer shell and a moist and flavorful filling of shrimp and pork. When dipped in a rich and savory fish sauce and combined with fresh raw vegetables, it creates a taste that lingers in the memory of every diner. Visiting Hoi An without indulging in this local specialty would be a missed opportunity.
Delicious pancakes with a crispy crust and soft and sweet inside will surely make you fall in love
These famous Banh Xeo establishments cater to tourists and are located in renowned tourist spots in Hoi An:
- Banh Xeo, Thit Nuong, Nem Lui Ba 9 – Alley 92 Phan Chu Trinh Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Banh Xeo Co Anh, Song Hoai – 32 18 Thang 8, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Gieng Ba Le Restaurant – 51 Tran Hung Dao Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam – One of the best restaurants in Hoi An for locals and tourists.
13. Tra Mot thao moc (Herbal Tea) – The best food in Hoi An with a unique and alluring flavor
One famous beverage that you must try when visiting Hoi An is the Herbal Tea, known as “Tra Mot thao moc” in Vietnamese. Herbal Tea is a blend of traditional and modern culture in Hoi An.
This simple drink is actually a type of tea brewed from various natural herbs and medicinal plants such as chrysanthemum, cinnamon, lemongrass, and licorice. Herbal Tea is a familiar and refreshing drink for both locals and tourists and it is often enjoyed as a cooling beverage in the ancient town.
Herbal Tea – The best food in Hoi An with lemongrass herbs to help quench thirst and purify the body
This is the best food to eat in Hoi An, with an irresistible charm. This type of beverage is often mentioned and checked in by everyone when visiting Hoi An’s ancient town.
- 150 Tran Phu Street, Cam Chau, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
14. Kem ong (Tube Ice Cream)
Tube Ice Cream, or “Kem ong” in Vietnamese, is arguably the best street food in Hoi An that attracts tourists of all ages, and it is a must-try snack when visiting Hoi An. Travelers are not only captivated by its cute and colorful appearance but also by its nostalgic taste, reminiscent of childhood ice creams.
The distinguishing feature of Hoi An’s Tube Ice Cream is the round stainless steel container filled with small aluminum tubes. After a long day of walking and exploring the Old Town, this sweet and refreshing treat is perfect for tired feet and provides a delightful experience. You can find Tube Ice Cream at various street food stalls and dessert shops in Hoi An.
Colorful popsicles appeal to people of any age
15. Che Hoi An (Hoi An Sweet Soup):
The last stop among the best food in Hoi An that you shouldn’t miss is the Sweet Soup (Che) in Hoi An. Sweet Soup is a popular snack that is inseparable from the people of Hoi An. It is not only a refreshing dessert but also a culinary specialty closely associated with the cuisine of the Old Town.
Sweet Soup in Hoi An comes in various types and flavors, from savory to sweet. These can be mentioned as sticky rice dumplings in pork broth, floating dessert soup, black sesame sweet soup, corn sweet soup, red bean sweet soup, and more. Each flavor has its unique appeal, and most visitors who have had the chance to taste them highly appreciate the experience.
Hoi An sweet soup – a specialty that cannot be ignored when visiting Hoi An
Famous Sweet Soup establishments you should try if you have the opportunity:
- Che Ba Thọ – 3/1 Nguyen Hue Street, Cam Chau Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Che Thung – 369 Cua Dai Street, Cam Chau Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
- Che co Hiep – 24 Le Loi Street, Minh An Ward, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
These are just a few of the many best food in Hoi An that you must try. The city offers a diverse culinary experience that will satisfy any food lover. Enjoy exploring the flavors of Hoi An!
THE BEST FOOD IN HOI AN SUITABLE FOR BUYING AS GIFTS:
1. Banh it la gai (Black Sesame Dumplings)
This is one of the best food in Hoi An that is perfect for buying as a gift. It is a favorite among tourists visiting the city. Banh it la gai can be found in many countries, but it has a special flavor in Hoi An.
The most delicious specialties in Quang Nam
The distinctive feature of these dumplings is their black color and rich sweetness. They are made from glutinous rice flour mixed with crushed pandan leaves, filled with mashed mung bean cooked with sugar and a hint of ginger. The dumplings are wrapped in banana leaves and steamed until cooked.
2. Banh to (To Cake)
When visiting the ancient town, it would be a pity not to buy one of this best food in Hoi An as a gift. It is a famous food in Hoian that is often present during Tet (Lunar New Year) and summer festivals.
Although this cake may appear simple, it has a unique flavor. The soft and chewy texture of the sticky rice combines with the aromatic sesame seeds and a hint of sweetness from the sugar. The ingredients are simple yet create an irresistible attraction. Bánh tổ is a local food in Hoi An that is deeply connected to the memories of the people in Hoi An.
3. Mam Cam Thanh (Cam Thanh Fermented Fish Sauce)
One of the best food in Hoi An that is suitable for gifting is Mắm Cẩm Thanh. It is named after Cam Thanh commune located west of the ancient town.
There are various types of fermented fish sauce to choose from. It would be wonderful to buy Mam Cam Thanh as a gift while traveling. It not only provides job opportunities for the local people but also brings back a unique Hoi An ancient town food for your family.
4. Ruou hong đao (Apricot Blossom Liquor) – the best food in Hoi An embodies the essence of Quang people’s culinary art
Ruou hong đao is a specialty closely associated with the lives of people in the Quang region. It is nicknamed “drinkable while still sober” due to its captivating beauty.
Fall in love with the beauty and deliciousness of Apricot Blossom Liquor
The liquor-making process takes over 100 days. After that, it is distilled and aged to produce a liquor with a distinctive strong and spicy aroma, and a visually stunning color. Moreover, apricot blossom liquor is known for its positive effects on health, digestion, and blood circulation.
5. Banh dau xanh Hoi An (Hoi An Mung Bean Cakes) – A long-standing best food in Hoi An
This mung bean cake is also one of the best foods in Hoi An, characterized by its historical significance. Banh đau xanh, also known as bánh in bot đau xanh, has been around in Hoi An for a long time.
In ancient times, this cake was offered to kings and nobles, indicating its exceptional taste and preparation method. Hoi An’s mung bean cakes are delicious, fragrant, and have a rich filling. These small, round cakes encapsulate the rustic flavors of the Hoi An locals.
6. Banh dua nuong (Grilled Coconut Cake)
Banh dua nuong is another best food in Hoi An that you should try. It is a famous gift throughout the Central region. The cake is made from fresh coconut, glutinous rice flour, and sugar. It has a beautiful golden-brown color, a fragrant aroma, and a crispy texture. Just one bite will mesmerize anyone with its distinctive flavor.
Hoi An cuisine is one of the distinctive features of Vietnam’s culture and tourism. The highlight of Hoi An cuisine is the delicate and diverse combination of typical Central dishes. All that quintessence blends with influences from other cultures, creating unique and attractive culinary creations.
With numerous dishes featuring local flavors, Hoi An has become an ideal destination for food lovers who want to explore the unique culinary style of Central Vietnam. We hope that this article has provided you with a list of the best food in Hoi An!